Q: Why do I think there's a commie behind every tree?
A: BECAUSE THERE IS A FUCKING COMMIE BEHIND EVERY TREE!!


Utilize the language with the same manipulation the Commies do, using the phrase "VACCINE FREE" instead of "UNVACCINATED" or "NON-VACCINATED"

Sunday, February 28, 2021

More Firearm Thoughts, Post Range Day

If you think a 127 year old design has no place in modern defensive firearm use, watch the following video from "Firearms Thoughts and Perspectives" with H.R. Funk. He demonstrates the ability of anyone, with some practice, to pass the Ohio LEO Tactical Carbine qualification test designed for the modern AR platform while using a Marlin 1894C lever gun in .357 Magnum.

 

Here are the main reasons (in no particular order) that I wanted a Marlin 1894CB (Cowboy with 20" octagon barrel) in .357 Magnum/.38 Special. It is the combination of all these points that made me wait over three years for a brand new one to become available before I bought it. Also why I passed on versions from Henry, Rossi,Winchester (Model 1873), and Uberti (Model 1873).

1). 20" heavy barrel for greater accuracy and higher muzzle velocity (as opposed to the carbine) and no need to port the barrel to control recoil. Porting for shot follow up is unnecessary since you have to work the lever anyway.

2). Side gate loading for SAFE magazine top-off from behind cover (Henry is slowly coming out with them, but only in certain calibers right now)

3). Side ejection and the ease of mounting optics on top of the receiver. Marlin lever guns come drilled and tapped for a scope/optics mount. They put flush fit filler screws in the 4 holes at the factory.

4). A pistol caliber carbine to go with my Ruger GP-161. It shoots .38 Special as well.

5). Not banned in Kommiecticut (at least not yet)

6). Blued receiver; not a bright, pretty shiny one

7). 11 round full capacity (10 + 1)

8). Made in the USA

9). Even with the 20" barrel, it is a very compact rifle, at 37" overall with a 13" length of pull

10). Price was in the lower middle range of all the manufacturers for a lever rifle in the desired caliber.

11). I have had other Marlins that have never let me down.

I have a great gun belt setup for my GP-161 that I refer to as my "Wyoming Deputy Sheriff" rig. A Bianchi thumb-break holster, a Bianchi dual speed loader carrier, two HKS #586 speedloaders, a snap carabiner for my keys, and everything carried on a 1.75" Wilderness Tactical belt. My thought for the 1894CB would be to add a pouch on the belt forward of the revolver to carry loose .357 Magnum rounds in. I'm thinking a solid black dog treat pouch that snaps shut and can be opened and closed with one hand. IMHO, with some practice, that is a lot of firepower.

More about the Smith and Wesson M&P 45 Shield. I'm thinking once I get an additional 7 round magazine (for a total of 3), and a dual magazine carrier, I will probably retire the SR9c for EDC duty. The slightly smaller size (as you will see in the photos) and comparable weight for way more effective firepower is the primary reason (8 rounds of .45 versus 11 rounds of 9mm). Yes, I am one of those that favors .45 over 9mm, so don't bother sending any hate my way! 😆 It perfectly fits the friction-fit holster from the SR9c and the slimmer design sits closer to my body. Since the magazines are not double-stack, those will also sit closer than the Ruger mags currently do. I will certainly keep the Ruger for backup, or maybe if the day comes my wife ever decides to carry. I did some side by side comparisons this morning. 

The Ruger is sporting what should be a 17-round magazine, but is actually a Kommiecticut legal 10

S&W on the left, Ruger on the right. Much slimmer with single stack mags
















First overlay photo, with extended mags. The Ruger below is longer.
















An overlay shot with the S&W on top, both with smaller mags and lined up by grip
















Same overlay as the previous photo, but showing the size difference at the muzzle end
















Same overlay, comparing the grip end. Even with the 6 round mag fit and control are good
















My brother (who has the Shield in 9mm) asked me yesterday if I thought .45ACP was maybe too much caliber for the size of the gun. While I wrote yesterday that the report definitely seems louder, felt recoil was easily manageable and certainly not unpleasant or painful. I am happy with it so far and will carry it for now around town and other places (not soft-targets) where I don't need to have the extra mags. Some day, maybe ammo availability will be more normal, and I will pick up a spare box or two of the SIG .45ACP Elite V-Crown to run through it.





No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is a harsh dictatorship, and I am the harsh dictator controlling YOUR freedom of speech. Comments are no longer moderated because of the Goolag login requirement, but must be in 100% ENGLISH. They will remain live on posts with the following exceptions: Insults, unintelligible gibberish, SPAM, ads to sell ANYTHING, and comments off topic or that add zero value. I may just leave such comments up anyway, with a reply pointing out the stupidity and making fun of the author. Comments that contain hyperlinks are allowed, but all links will be verified and bogus crap deleted. Don't just leave a comment and split, come back later because I respond to some comments and we can have a conversation.