Q: Why do I think there's a commie behind every tree?
A: BECAUSE THERE IS A FUCKING COMMIE BEHIND EVERY TREE!!


Utilize the language with the same manipulation the Commies do, using the phrase "VACCINE FREE" instead of "UNVACCINATED" or "NON-VACCINATED"

Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Marlin 1894CB Mod

I have some experience with Marlin lever guns. Obviously the most important safety on ANY gun is the mushy gray matter between the ears of whomever is handling said gun. That said, the only manual safety on the pre-1983 lever guns is a "half-cock" position on the hammer. Post 1983 guns have a cross-bolt safety as well, which I find extremely annoying. More times than not, the stupid safety was on as I went to fire my 2019 vintage 1894CB, making me have to stop, take the safety off, reset myself, and take the shot. That's because with the safety there, I feel compelled to use it, but because muscle memory tells me to ignore it, I forget its on.

The Marlin 1894CB wearing the Marlin lever rifle lock. The leather wrapped lever is for high speed use.


 

 

*Stock Photo* A close-up detail of the cross-bolt safety, circled in yellow. Button out is safety "OFF"

 

There are mod kits available to remove the safety and install a simple "filler" which I had contemplated doing but never did. Until today, when I came across this from Beartooth Mercantile out of Cody, Wyoming.

The cross-bolt safety replaced with a Cavalry Saddle Ring from Beartooth Mercantile





















A close-up of the saddle ring mount that goes through the receiver in place of the safety
















I also opted for the additional set screw and pin that replaces the original detent spring and ball for $5.00 which is recommended for strength and stability if you plan on heavy use of the saddle ring. Standard use would be to secure the rifle in a scabbard, and heavy use would be like for a single point sling. The pin prevents the notched bar from movement that could stop the hammer from falling onto the firing pin. $40.00 for everything including shipping (and they don't play tax collector for the state of Kommiecticut...SHHHH!) Once the ring is installed making my rifle look closer to original style configuration, I may explore a suitable single point sling. I would lean towards one that can be quickly added or removed.

6 comments:

  1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I see a lever safety in the first picture, such that the lever must be pulled against the stock to pull the trigger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Fido: Good eye and you would be correct, however that requires no extra manual manipulation to use. It simply ensures the firing mechanism is completely locked up before allowing the hammer to fall. Work the lever with authority (as you should) and maintain a good grip on the stock and the lever naturally unlocks the trigger/hammer mechanism. I don't know if the original 1894's had that, but I have no problem with it. Dropping the hammer on the firing pin of a bolt with a live round in the chamber and not fully in battery can make for a bad day.

      Delete
  2. Hey, I thought you didn't give away gun make and model info?

    Jed M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jed M.: It is a quirk of Kommiecticut gun laws whether I speak of a certain make or model I may or may not own. With the sweeping post Sandy Hook gun control laws (otherwise known as intolerable/unconstitutional acts) taking effect in 2014, all firearm sales public and private are supposed to go through the state. Therefore, any firearms that may have purchased prior to that will remain anonymous because they might have been sold without paperwork. Handguns have always been registered, but even some of those have fallen off state tyrant radar. So much the better. I believe the state had more control over firearms before they went full tyrant, because gun owners wanted to be upstanding and cooperative. Now they tend to give the state the giant middle finger at every opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was looking at picking up a simple, entry level lever actin, in 30-30 caliber, as a replacement for my bolt action .308, to be used as an all around rifle, as I no longer hunt deer.
    The idea of a center fire rifle as a defensive tool is important the way the nation is devolving.
    I was actually shocked at the prices. I really don't think that one of these guns are worth upwards of a thousand dollars. Not when you can buy an entry level center fire rifle from one of the major gun makers for around 350$.
    I may watch the used market to see if anything shows up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My go to lever gun is a Marlin. Henry's are pretty and expensive, but not all models offer side gate loading, necessary for mag topping behind cover in a gun battle. Uberti's are just stupid expensive. Winchester's (made in Japan which is just wrong) are difficult to mount optics to. And Rossi's just come across as cheesy and cheap. It took me about 3 years to get the 1894CB because of availability. Cost me just under a grand brand new in January 2020. I had to send it back to the factory for a magazine loading issue, but they didn't understand the problem or really fix anything. When I got it back, I tore it down to the basic receiver and using a Dremel tool, took care of the sharp edge that was at the mouth of the magazine that cartridges were getting hung up on. I also got rid of the factory buckhorn and installed a Skinner peep sight. Loads and shoots great now.

      Delete

This blog is a harsh dictatorship, and I am the harsh dictator controlling YOUR freedom of speech. Comments are no longer moderated because of the Goolag login requirement, but must be in 100% ENGLISH. They will remain live on posts with the following exceptions: Insults, unintelligible gibberish, SPAM, ads to sell ANYTHING, and comments off topic or that add zero value. I may just leave such comments up anyway, with a reply pointing out the stupidity and making fun of the author. Comments that contain hyperlinks are allowed, but all links will be verified and bogus crap deleted. Don't just leave a comment and split, come back later because I respond to some comments and we can have a conversation.