Q: Why do I think there's a commie behind every tree?
A: BECAUSE THERE IS A FUCKING COMMIE BEHIND EVERY TREE!!


Utilize the language with the same manipulation the Commies do, using the phrase "VACCINE FREE" instead of "UNVACCINATED" or "NON-VACCINATED"

Sunday, January 1, 2023

Wingin' It On New Years Day

The post title is a double entndre minus the normal sexual overtones. ๐Ÿ˜†

 

As I alluded to in this post from Friday, I was hoping to get out for a traditional biker's New Years Day ride. But due to the rain overnight, I wasn't sure what road conditions would be. So rather than really get spun up to go for a ride today and be disappointed, I figured if it happened, it happened. If not... oh well. The double entndre comes from not really having a plan, and riding my Goldwing.

"The Beast," awakened and running in the driveway today























Temps were not as warm as last Friday, not quite making 50, but the sun was out. The rain completely washed away the rock salt residue from the previous winter weather events. I was wearing a long sleeve undershirt, my CCDL Poker Run t-shirt over it, and my leather jacket and vest to really block the cold and wind. In my saddlebag was a long sleeve hoodie in case I needed another layer. I had the top vents closed on my helmet and the breath deflector snapped into place. I also wore my cold weather gauntlet style gloves. The grip and seat heaters are still not working (only because I have not torn into them further than my previous effort) but I had the fairing vents open that blows warm air from around the engine onto your legs and feet. I chose not to wear my cold weather riding bibs. More on that later. I did not have a destination in mind until I started to head out, and decided to see if I could meet up with an old friend in the Norwich area.

The ride down was uneventful and enjoyable. I reached my destination in Baltic and texted my friend to see if he was nearby. He could have only been closer if he was on the back of my bike! He came walking out of the building I was parked at. It was really good to see him and we got to chat for a bit. He is a fan of the blog and had told me so online months ago, but I did not want to contact him back to let him know who I really was for PERSEC on both of our parts. I told him face to face and he was surprised and understood the reluctance to leave any kind of electronic trail between us. I told him about the troubles I had a couple of years back with my previous effort and he totally understood. Now that he knows it's me he will be a regular visitor I am sure. A like-minded individual, he agrees with most (if not all) of what I write. We had to cut the visit short so he could finish what he was doing, so I asked him where is a good place to get something hot to drink and a snack. He sent me down the road to Norwich to La Stella Bakery.

Located at 137 Norwich Ave in the Taftville village of Norwich





















 

 

La Stella is an authentic Italian bakery, that also serves traditional Italian food. I parked my bike in the only level spot right out front. The rest of the parking is on too steep of a hill for parking a bike safely. I went inside, placed my order and hit the restroom. I ordered a hot black coffee and a blueberry muffin and it was ready when I returned. Really good and hit the spot. I sat inside and warmed up for a good half hour. I texted my co-worker that lives nearby to see if his plans for the day fell through. If they had I would swing by his house. Nope.... his plans for the day went accordingly so he was not at home. I went outside and saddled up.

I was thinking of heading to my sportsman's club to see if anyone was hanging out, but after riding for 15 minutes I decided it was just too chilly, that I would just head for home. The weather was borderline for wearing my Polaris cold weather bibs, and if I had worn them I would have definitely rode longer. But the downside is the extra bulk. When the heaters were working, in my full cold weather gear, I was riding comfortably with temps in the 20's and could probably go lower.

The trip meter display showing today's effort




















 

 

 

The GPS display is off so no one inadvertently gets my address. I use Trip "A" is for fuel, and Trip "B" is for my rides. You'll notice the solitary key with no key ring or other keys dangling from it. That is how the switch panel on a 15 year old bike looks like new instead of being beat to shit. I have a small locking Nite-Ize carabiner that secures the key to my key clump. When I run the bike, the key is by itself, and the rest of the keys are in the fairing pocket. I usually carry my keys on a clip on my belt, but on the bike I don't want them to fall off, or scratch up the body panels under the seat.

So, the bike has been placed on the stands to keep the tires off the cement floor, the tank re-topped off with stabilized fuel, the Battery Tender hooked up, and the cover put back on. If I get out again this winter... great! If I don't, then the bike is in suspended animation until spring meaning when I get ready to ride and turn the key (after checking the tire pressure of course) it will start right up and be ready to go.

5 comments:

  1. Very Good to see you Glypto and thanks for stopping by!I'm glad i stayed to do clean up or i wouldn't have been there. Also glad La Stella's was open. They were also the drop off point for a sock drive run by Backus Hospital which the church helped out with. Keep the rubber side down and have fun out there while its allowed (even after;)); see ya soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Anonymous: [S.C.] I know you were busy that afternoon, and wish we could have spent more time. The ride down was an impulse, and seeing you was just a bonus. Next time I will plan better, give you a heads up, and we can go ride and grab a meal. I may suddenly appear on a random Sunday morning at services.

      God Bless You, my friend.

      Delete
  2. Must be nice to have a seat heater... my two bikes, a Yamaha 360RT and a Honda CB450 do not even list as an option when I bought them... only way to heat them is sitting for hours...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Cederq: You bet! The rider and passenger seats even have independent controls. For me the best part for comfort is the grip heaters. Unfortunately, Honda way over engineered the grip/seat heat system, compared to just coils and rheostats. There is a master control box that ties into the ECM, and it has thermistors so elements don't get too hot. The master control must "see" every component or it kills the whole system. The weak physical link is normally the left grip. The imbedded heater mesh breaks because of the strain on it when you pull the bike up onto the center stand. I need to tear the bike apart and meter out everything before buying any parts.

      Delete
  3. Ohhh those Goldwings are nice.

    Mile that thing out, GD!๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ‘

    ReplyDelete

This blog is a harsh dictatorship, and I am the harsh dictator controlling YOUR freedom of speech. Comments are no longer moderated because of the Goolag login requirement, but must be in 100% ENGLISH. They will remain live on posts with the following exceptions: Insults, unintelligible gibberish, SPAM, ads to sell ANYTHING, and comments off topic or that add zero value. I may just leave such comments up anyway, with a reply pointing out the stupidity and making fun of the author. Comments that contain hyperlinks are allowed, but all links will be verified and bogus crap deleted. Don't just leave a comment and split, come back later because I respond to some comments and we can have a conversation.