Q: Why do I think there's a commie behind every tree?
A: BECAUSE THERE IS A FUCKING COMMIE BEHIND EVERY TREE!!


Utilize the language with the same manipulation the Commies do, using the phrase "VACCINE FREE" instead of "UNVACCINATED" or "NON-VACCINATED"

Sunday, February 19, 2023

Trips To Cabelas For Upgrades

I made two trips to Cabelas in East Hartford in the past few days and dropped just under $500 in leftover Christmas gift cards I had been sitting on for a few years. It was a combination of VISA gift cards, a Cabelas gift card, and some mad money cash. Why the two trips? I will explain.

I went after work on Thursday February 16th. I get out at 6 PM, have to go home to take care of animals and then needed to stop and get a bite to eat. I got to the store just past 7:30 and the sign on the door says they are operating under winter hours and closing at 8PM. Well I knew what I was originally after, a pair of Walker electronic muff and Hogdgon HS-6 powder. At the East Hartford store, all the gun stuff is on the second floor, so I hoofed it up there. It took several minutes of looking to find the version of Walker muff I was after, but I got it, Walker's "EXCEL". I thought about a carrying case but time was short. I went looking for gun powder, specifically a 1 pound container of Hogdgon HS-6. There were two on the shelf so I grabbed one. They had exactly ZERO primers, but I am all set with those... for now. They keep announcing that the store is closing to head for the register but I took a quick peek in the optics showcase. They sell laser range finders, but I don't have time to shop, so I went downstairs, cashed out and left.























I also grabbed another plastic cartridge case to put a hundred .38 Special rounds in.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I never had a set of electronic muffs, so I couldn't wait to try them out. I put my empty .38 brass in the cartridge case, stowed the powder in my ammo cabinet, and since the muffs came with a set of Duracell AAA batteries, I chucked them and installed a pair of Energizer AAA batteries. I turned them on and was able to hear the TV audio just fine. It has four audio modes, but I couldn't tell much difference using the TV. What was neat was trying to clap my hands. I felt them smack together but heard nothing. It was weird to say the least. When the wife got home, I tried them with her and live conversation. They work best for me with my hearing loss on the "Clear Voice" setting.

On Saturday the 18th I had a work party at the sportsman's club that I thought would go until at least noon. Nope, we were done by 10, so I ran home, loaded the truck for the dump, and with little poodle boy headed out. He loves going to stores where dogs are allowed and behaves himself very well. After the dump it was back to Cabelas and a much more leisurely shopping trip. Up the stairs to the gun area and the Walkers display. I found a case that said it fit my muffs, but how the hell do they actually fit? The case is pretty small. Ah... ingenious design grasshopper. I'm glad I brought my muffs with me to try them out in the case.



















 

 

The muffs in the case and a pocket for the instruction shett

 













The ear cups fold in and up to tuck under headband. Then the muffs sit in the case vertically. An instruction sheet would have been nice, but as usual I am able to figure shit out.

I then went over to the optics counter. Range finders run $99 for a cheap Bushnell model, up to $1249 for a top end Leica unit. For the features I wanted, the ranges it worked at, and the price I ended up with a Sig-Sauer KILO2200BDX 6x22 for $249.97. I set it up and messed with it at work today and it was easy to set up and use. It will do everything I need it to do.


























The last thing I bought was a brand new Lee Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure. My original one still worked, but I always believed I was on borrowed time with it. The jackass that previously owned my equipment got too heavy handed with the screws that hold the powder hopper onto the dispenser and the plastic was all split and breaking. I was always gentle with it, but I could envision it one day letting go in the middle of a production run, dumping powder everywhere. It is also modernized, with the ability to turn off the powder without having to remove it from the press until the hopper needed to be emptied.













Already mounted and ready for use for the 9mm run























I mentioned the modernization. The original only had a spring operated return to fill the disk for the next charge. This uses either the spring return or a small ball chain attached to the shell plate carrier to pull the disk back for another refill on the up stroke of the operating lever. It is supposed to operate more positively in positioning the powder disk for filling and dumping. We shall see. I can always put the return spring and arm on the unit if I have difficulty with the new set up. The other nice thing is the improved way the hopper attaches, using machine screws and knurled knobs instead of sheet metal screws into plastic. I will keep the old unit as a spare.

Poodle boy enjoyed his visit to the store and everyone just loves him. Lots of little kids wanted to pet him and he just loves the attention. And his string cheese treats.

 

Mostly the treats.

3 comments:

  1. Christmas in February. Nothing better than multiple trips to sporting goods and hardware stores. They are mandatory aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you're not using a wide angle lens but darn it, that's a very TIDY work area!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Drake's Place: I like my reloading area the same way I like my food prep area, Dave.... clean, clear, and contaminant free. I am shooting for (see what I did there?) tonight after work to finally get the first 100 rounds of 9mm done. Too many things keep coming up and getting in my way.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is a harsh dictatorship, and I am the harsh dictator controlling YOUR freedom of speech. Comments are no longer moderated because of the Goolag login requirement, but must be in 100% ENGLISH. They will remain live on posts with the following exceptions: Insults, unintelligible gibberish, SPAM, ads to sell ANYTHING, and comments off topic or that add zero value. I may just leave such comments up anyway, with a reply pointing out the stupidity and making fun of the author. Comments that contain hyperlinks are allowed, but all links will be verified and bogus crap deleted. Don't just leave a comment and split, come back later because I respond to some comments and we can have a conversation.