Q: Why do I think there's a commie behind every tree?
A: BECAUSE THERE IS A FUCKING COMMIE BEHIND EVERY TREE!! And on every college campus and at every level in government.


Just wait until those of us that just wanted to be left alone are forced to get involved.

Wednesday, September 16, 2026

A New Chapter of Life Has Begun

At 06:00 on Tuesday August 25th, I was handed my walking papers and told to clean out my locker at the FD and go. The underlying reason isn't important (yes, I fucked up, but IMHO it DID NOT warrant summary termination) but I was terminated anyway because without any union representation the usual contractual steps of verbal warning, written warning, suspension, THEN termination were not in existence. But I have a feeling after my booting it won't be long before the remainder of the work force thinks "there but for the Grace of God go I" and has the IAFF in there. Then the FD corporation will get their just due in forced labor rates, shift assignments, raises, REAL benefits, and all the other stuff unions force upon companies. Fuckers will get what they deserve for sure. I have purged my phone of all FD contacts which means the call blocking app I use will send everyone that might call directly to VM. I will not step foot on any FD property for any reason. I was supposed to run a training session in October and did several maintenance items that no one had yet been cross-trained on. Not my problem. The corporation made decisions that they are going to have to live with forever. 

On the other hand; I no longer have to work 24 hour shifts, I sleep in my own bed every night, no packing 3 meals for every shift, get awakened in the middle of the night, getting my ass physically kicked on structure fires, working shitty/sloppy brush fires, or have to deal with morons and dead people. My firefighting credentials belong to me and are good for life if I were to decide to use them again. My current EMT certification is still good for over a year. My CDL was recently renewed and my DOT Medical Card is good until March. 

I had already updated my resume' and profile on Indeed.com and had been casually looking for something better. I logged right on and started filling applications for jobs that I could put my non-FD skillset to good use. On Monday August 31st I got a phone call inviting me to an interview for an application I filled out on Friday the 28th. The appointment was set up for 3PM on Tuesday September 1st. The interview lasted 2+ hours and went really well. He asked me when I would be able to start and I told him the 21st since I had a couple of scheduled obligations. They told me there was one other applicant they did want to interview that had rescheduled twice before, but I was a really strong candidate. The shop manager told me he would be in touch in a couple of days.

Apparently the other candidate blew them off a third time, because on the afternoon of Wednesday September 2nd I received a phone call from the shop manager I interviewed with giving me a verbal offer that the job was mine if I still wanted it. Of course I told him yes. He told me the HR person would be in touch with the next steps and then to get together to fill out the normal employment paperwork. The woman from HR contacted me on Thursday September 3rd by email to introduce herself and that more would be forthcoming.

On Thursday September 10th I received an email from HR with a scanned copy of my offer letter to sign and scan to send back, and a few tasks to do like filling out an online application for a criminal background check and driving record inquiry. I also sent her scanned copies of my ID and I-9 documentation. She responded back with appreciation for the fact we are ahead of the game.

Today was my face to face meeting with the woman from HR. I filled out all the standard employment paperwork; I-9, W-4, CT W-4, bank direct deposit info, receipt of the company handbook, etc. I am scheduled to start on Monday the 21st at 8AM but I will be there early as usual. Also, on nice days I will get to ride "The Beast" to and from work because all I need to carry is a small cooler with my lunch, not all the crap I needed to carry for a 24 hour duty tour. The commute is about 10 miles one way.

From this whole situation came some frank discussions with my wife about our future in reference to retirement. It comes down to this; we are not selling the house and leaving the state to retire together. SHE WILL NOT GO, PERIOD. Retirement will mean collecting full SSI and continuing to work until I call it quits. Unlike firefighting, I will be able to do this particular job for a long time. However, as she already knew and I re-stated, if something happens to her, in the middle of her funeral arrangements I will hold a giant moving sale, list the house as-is, and be out of here so fast no one in town will realize it until after I am gone and no one has seen me for a while.

 

 

I blog and shit poast on X from behind a VPN using a nom de guerre. For the obvious reasons of SafeSECS I will not divulge the new company name, location, what I will be doing, or the FD I just left. The current political climate has fully half of the people that are immature little babies, total freaks, or the mentally ill that are triggered all the way to violence and murder because they don't agree with me or my views.

4 comments:

  1. Stuff happens. Sounds like you are on a good road right now. As for retirement, I worked for a couple of years while drawing social security, and then retired. For me that was a good choice. I recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Dad did that. After he retired from the printing business he drove a school bus and loved it. Being retired he was able to go on all the school field trips and special assignments like when buses were needed for shuttles at large public events. That meant after running the shuttle he got in for free until it was time to shuttle people out again. He quit when at age 70, his CDL DOT medical was mandated to be yearly, but the bus company would only pay for every 2 years meaning he would have to pay for the extra exam. It wasn't that much money but Dad demanded if they required it they should pay for it.

    I don't mind working really. I may see if I can go part time at some point in that future. That will make time for weekday trips to the range, motorcycle outings, fishing, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow wow wow, just wow!!!!
    So sorry to hear of this. Im happy to hear you landed a new job. In this day and age that's great!
    I did 11 years ambulance and 20 years ER nurse. Then management changed.
    Yeap, a millennial woman
    Well retirement suits me just fine.
    My advice; save 3 x's the amount of money you think you'll need in retirement

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Steve: We have a great financial advisor. At the moment she is unaware of all this but really nothing has changed. I collected unemployment for the past couple of weeks which ends with this week. Our combined SSI per month will put us close to our monthly income. I am starting at what I made per hour at the FD with the potential for so much more than I would ever see otherwise. I will be rolling out my entire FD 401K as "seed money" to my new employer's 401K that actually has a small matching contribution. Hey.... free money, right? My wife makes good money at her dog training facility and has her own 401K there. Our retirement investments are for the extras in life or emergencies. Next year on my birthday I start collecting my traditional pension of $560/ month from the company I left in 1998. As far as I am concerned, the FD fucked themselves pretty good, and I don't care. I wouldn't go back if they paid me double what I was making (LOL... don't tell my wife that, though)

      Delete

This blog is a harsh dictatorship, and I am the harsh dictator controlling YOUR freedom of speech. Comments are no longer moderated because of the Goolag login requirement, but are monitored by me and I will decide if they stay. Comments must be in 100% ENGLISH. They will remain live on posts with the following exceptions: Insults, unintelligible gibberish, SPAM, ads to sell ANYTHING, and comments off topic or that add zero value. I may just leave such comments up anyway, with a reply pointing out the stupidity and making fun of the author. Comments that contain hyperlinks are allowed, but all links will be verified and bogus crap deleted. Don't just leave a comment and split, come back later because I respond to some comments and we can have a conversation.